Monday, January 13, 2014

Adding to my stash

I briefly mentioned in a prior post about a little place I visit to find vintage quilts that need some love. Well, the place which shall still remain nameless also has fabrics both vintage and new. It isn't a typical quilt or fabric store where you pretty much know what you will find but rather you are limited to whatever they happen to have that particular day. This last Saturday I made a trip over there and hit the jackpot.

 I spent about an hour and a half going through all of the new arrivals of fabric narrowing down my selections. To reel myself in and stop myself from buying anything and everything in the shop I give everything what I call ''must have test". Will it be something where I am haunted by the fact that I didn't buy it? Will I have to call the shop and have them put it aside for me and have to make a trip back? Will I end up regretting I didn't buy it in the store and have to buy it online? Asking these questions usually stops me from buying those things that are on impulse alone.

As I said this last weekend I really did well. 



This beautiful fabric with floral sprays and ribbons will have to be fussy cut but I think whatever the results are will be amazing.


I fell in love with this fabric the minute I saw it. The selvage states J. Gutcheon The American Classic Line. You can read about and his contributions to the quilting community here .





This fabric has a wider weave than a traditional cotton quilting fabric. I think it will be a wonderful backing for a civil war quilt I am collecting fabrics for. The colors are a creamy tan and dark blue and there is no writing on the selvage. 





I also came across a stack of tie satin remnants. I have had in mind to do a satin quilt for a long time but the intimidation factor is huge. The fabric slips and slides and frays and I can see myself in for some frustrations once I begin. These remnants have inspired me to keep collecting away until I build my stash. The colors range from champagne to blue to purple. All in all I think they work very well together and I am getting excited about this project again. 


Thank you all for letting me share a few of my recent finds.

No comments:

Post a Comment