Tuesday, January 7, 2014

And away we go....


As I said in my bio I re-discovered quilting in 2013.  About 15 years ago I took a couple quilting classes but it just didn't stick for me. My mother began quilting a few years ago and I admired her beautiful work but didn't think that I could do it. About a year ago in my travels I stumbled across a set of 1930's butterfly blocks. I bought them and figured I would pass them along to my dear mother to quilt up for me. My mom however had other ideas, she gave them right back an said "You do it". Even with that I still hemmed and hawed about doing it myself and thought I could convince her to do it. No dice! She dragged me out to buy the batting, binding, backing and all I would need to do it myself.

Over the next two days under my mothers guidance I plugged away squaring the blocks, sashing the blocks and eventually getting the blocks assembled. Trust me when I say there were many frustrations, a few choice words and at least once I threw up my hands. By the end of the second day I had a beautiful but wonky quilt top. I still have yet to finish the it but the top and backing are done. I think I will soon be finishing this piece by hand tying it.


                                                             Completed quilt top

                                                      A beautiful 1930's fabric

                                   Here is a closeup of the applique and my sashing selection

                                                Even my dogger Madeline likes this quilt.

I will be posting photos once I get it tied and bound. Keep checking for updates!

No comments:

Post a Comment