Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Hello 2014!



As 2013 was coming to a close I felt myself in a bit of a slump. I wanted something that I could pick up and take with me to work on when I was away from my sewing machine. I contemplated starting one of the bigger embroidery projects that I have been wanting to start and trust me I have a long list. Just the thought of having to get together all of the floss and various supplies seemed overwhelming with all of the holiday craziness.

Lets go back to a few months ago when my wonderful mother and I went on one of our road trips. These road trips have been a part of my life as far back as I can remember. When I was little she would ask me which direction I wanted to go, I would point and off we would go. We never had a destination in mind but would drive until something caught our eye and we wanted to stop. These trips more often than not took us North to the redwoods of northern California or South along coastal highway 1 to Solvang. I really treasure these memories with my mom and we are still creating more. Now that I am older these are trips are typically for shopping purposes. The last big trip we took we had plotted a couple of quilt shops that were new to us and we wanted to check out. We ended up all the way in Livermore which is further than we had expected to go. Along the way we visited some great quilt shops but on the drive home we stopped at one of our favorites Thimblecreek in Concord. They had just put out their selection of Halloween quilt patterns and I was having a very hard time deciding between two of them. I finally made my selection and mom and I checked out.

Fast forward 3 months to Christmas morning...........

There is one HUGE gift bag under the tree and it has my name on it. As I am pulling the tissue paper from the top of the bag I find a stack of cream and beige fat quarters, next I pull out boxes of embroidery floss, then two slim sided embroidery hoops and finally the pattern that I hadn't purchased from Thimblecreek. My mother had painstakingly assembled an entire quilt kit for me! Here is the pattern I have started and I am already so in love with it.

                                                     Calendula Patterdrip's Cottage
                                                         

It looks a bit intimidating but trust me it isn't so bad. The hard part for me to wrap my brain around is that you sew together some of the smaller blocks, add those to your larger piece of embroidery fabric and then embroider over the quilted blocks. I just started block 6, which doesn't require you to embroider over the quilt blocks. I will keep you all up on my progress but so far so good. What do you think?





No comments:

Post a Comment